Sunday, March 23, 2008

Resurfacing along the coast of Blog

Wow. It's been a while. After getting an email from a company who asked to advertise on my blog I first laughingly dismissed it as a scam of some sort and sent it to my wife J. for her to have a laugh over. When she told me it was for real I went into a mild panic since I could not remember the name of my blog. It was, as you remember, Begging for Salt, but I changed that after a young writer living in Japan sent me a short story he had written that explained the Japanese source of the phrase. Apparently when a child peed the bed in Japan, he was forced to go from door to door "begging for salt" as an act of contrition. Oh well, "no man created anything" as Arthur Rimbaud purportedly said.

Anyway, in my panicked state I emailed J. asking her if she remembered anything about the change of name. About the only thing I remember was about it was that I was on a rollercoaster bender living in our little rv in Truth or Consequences, NM. Helpful as always she replied as follows:

"It was something astonishingly queer like marvelous marky or mercury marky, that’s it. Or is that your name and your blog is something else. That’s the only one I can remember. One reeeeeeeaally shouldn’t nickname one’s self. Always goes bad...did wilde say that?"

That sparked something and I started googling and finally found my blog!!! Art Block. I shitcanned the nickname and revamped my profile to reveal the real me. Hi. Damn, it feels good to be back...